In the past 10 years, I have spent some decent amount of time coaching and mentoring individuals on topics related to career path, exceptional thinking and mostly reaching goals and enhancing their chances in getting to where they would like to go in life.
One pretty COMMON issue I’ve seen that still dazzles me in almost 90% of the people I worked with, was what I’d like to call “The Search for the Silver Bullet”
If you’re not familiar with the concept of the Silver Bullet, it’s a mean to kill a werewolf in horror stories, where the beast can’t be killed except with that specific bullet. So we normally call any “Ultimate Solution” a Silver Bullet
It seems for each one, there is a specific silver bullet that would *in their personal opinion* solve all of their problems in like ONE SHOT. All Together!!! yes just One Solution 🙂
Examples of Silver bullets I’ve encountered:
- When I move to Dubai / Canada / Europe / <______ Fill in the blank with the country of your choice>
- When I get married (That’s mostly with single women from the arab world)
- When I win the lottery (or get a big load of Cash that I don’t have to work for it… Pretty applicable to all of those who think that money is the solution to everything…)
- and the list goes on and on…
Now let’s pause for a second and try to visualize the following:
If you’re feeling cold, you would long for WARMTH, and would crave to be sitting next to the fire for hours… When you finally do, you would enjoy this priceless and incredible feeling of both satisfaction and happiness crawling all over your body… It’s simply the best feeling in the world…
Then after some time… (mostly not too long after)… The same spot will make you feel hot and few more minutes, you won’t be able to stand it that you decide to move AWAY…
So what just happened? isn’t it what you “wished for”?
This week’s Tip, is divided into 2:
- I advise you NOT to set the solution of your problem (s) as a destination with no time-bound
- Not to Tie EVERYTHING all together, so there will Only be ONE solution… But instead divide your life into 3 separate layers (which influence each others but not too interconnected):
- Personal: that will include your friends, parents, society, love life etc
- Professional: that will include your career and job etc
- Self: that will include your dreams and hopes and physical and spiritual objectives etc
Enjoy your Week!
Image courtesy of David Castillo Dominici/ FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Samer Chidiac is a Sr. Strategist, Author & an International Innovation Expert.
The Monday Tip Weekly blog is part of the “Influencing the Life of Others” project